Urlaur Pattern & Community Committee
A Very Happy Christmas
Urlaur Community Committee wish all our community and friends a Very Happy Christmas and Bright New Year.
The role of the Committee: –
: The input of the youth and teenagers in the community is welcome. All living in the area are requested to become members of Urlaur Pattern & Community Committee by completing the membership form, no membership fees are required, its free. By becoming a member, you will be notified of all events etc. Please support your Community by becoming a member.
: To cater for the needs, welfare and wellbeing of the local Community
: To make better use of resources
: To access new information, ideas and suggestions
: To encourage greater participation in the local activities by the Community
: To ensure people understand how they can participate and how decisions are made.
: To engage Senior Citizens in different activities involving physical and mental ability skills
: To organise events for the local Community
: To achieve these goals we request all local Community Residents to complete a Needs Survey Form.
:The Community Hall and field is available to rent. Please use the Map/Contact Form on this website to make application. Or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Annual Pattern
The Pattern of Urlaur is held in the ruins of Urlaur Abbey beside Loch Urlaur on the 4th August annually. The event is run and organised by the Committee well in advance of this date. The Abbey was founded around 1430 by the Anglo-Norman Nangle family for the Dominicans, and was dedicated to St. Thomas Aquinas. It was built overlooking the banks of Loch Urlaur and was destroyed in 1654 by Cromwellian soldiers.
Urlaur Abbey lies eight kilometres from Kilkelly Co. Mayo on the shores of Loch Urlaur and it is a monastic settlement. It is a must for all tourists as the Abbey has been remarkably well preserved. It is open to the public all year.
The Abbey was dedicated to Saint Thomas and was found by Fr. William Nangle and Fr. Thomas O’Grogan after permission of the Pope Eugene IV. The building was financed by Edmond Costello and his wife Fineola Cusa, daughter of O’Connor Dun, and became the burial place of the Costello’s.
The Dominicans are named after their founder Saint Dominic who was born in Spain in 1170. He chose a life of penance and poverty and gathered together a band of preachers in southern France in the early part of the 13th century.
The preachers were sent to cities where the Universities and other seats of learning were to be found. Finally, the Dominican Friars came to Oxford and London in 1221 and to Dublin in 1224 and are known as the Order of Friars Preachers.
This remote and peaceful lake attracted the friars who came here from all over Connacht to spend their life following the rule of their order strictly. The austere vision of Saint Dominic is well reflected in the strong lines of the architecture.
The Church is rectangular in shape with doorways in the western and southern walls, windows and three gothic arches. There is an aperture where lepers could rest and hear Mass. The Abbey also had other buildings such as the kitchens, the refectory, the boathouse for a quick escape and, up the steps, the dormitory where the friars slept.
In 1608 and 1610 two inquisitions fell on Urlaur and the friary was suppressed. Its lands passed to Sir Edward Fisher and later to Sir Theobald Dillon, but the friars went on living quietly at Urlaur.
With the coming of Oliver Cromwell, Fr. Dominic Dillon and Fr. Richard Overton of Urlaur were put to death at Drogheda; Fr. Mac Costello was also killed by the Cromwellians and Fr. Gerard Dillon died in prison.
In 1698 the friars fled the Abbey because of the Penal Laws, only five of them remained in the area including Fr. Pierce Costello and Fr. Redmond Costello. By the end of 18th century the monastic settlement was in ruins.
Urlaur Abbey is now in ruins, but well preserved. The annual pattern held on 4th of August annually it brings locals and visitors to the area. Mass is celebrated in the old Abbey and a sense of peace is evident among the hallowed stones.
Chairman – Tomas Phillips
Secretary – Peter Nyland
Treasurer – Josie Gallagher
Support Staff TUS & RSS
Community Volunteers removing sharp and dangerous stones from the swimming area in the lake. Landscaping and laying sand in the amenity area beside the lake.
Mayo Public Participation Network
Urlaur Pattern and Community Committee are registered with Mayo Public Participation Network (PPN) under Registration Number 01337. PPN is a structure that brings together Community, Voluntary, Environmental and Social Inclusion Groups in each Local Authority Area. The PPN is the “go for all” Local Authorities who wish to benefit from Community and Voluntary expertise in their area. The Handbook explaining PPN can be downloaded from – www.gov.ie/en/publication/9db5e3-ppn-handbook/
Welcome to our Website
Welcome to our Site feel free to contact us on any matter. You can contact us by going to Home Page – Click – Contact and fill in your details. Any submissions or suggestions are welcome. Your submissions will be treated confidentially in accordance with the GDPR.